Thursday, March 19, 2015

Mister Sandman

I suffer from insomnia.  As my eyes look back and forth and I furrow my brow, I question if that is how that should be written.  Is that the right introduction?  Will that catch the attention of readers?  Is insomnia really what I am here to write about today?

A few months ago I asked my friends on Facebook for suggestions for insomnia solutions.  Yes, it does seem that I am here to write about insomnia.  Ugh, how boring!  

There were several suggestions for trying a multitude of herbs, pills, activities, the lack of activities, a routine at bedtime, a massage, acupuncture and even counting.  Although no recommendations regarding the counting of sheep.  I think I'm disappointed.

I have suffered from insomnia for nearly thirty years.  Sometimes I fall asleep easily.  Sometimes I stay up all night long.  Sometimes I toss and turn or just lie there staring at the dark ceiling.  Sometimes I get up and read, watch a movie, play a game, take a bath, wash some laundry, write or journal, sweep the floors, run circles around my cul-de-sac or just go sit on the front porch and listen to the quiet sounds of night.

I have tried so many pills both prescribed and over the counter, herbs, teas, tinctures, and routines that my head spins just thinking about them all.  And nothing has worked.  For a couple of days, sure... but the effect always, without fail, wears off after about two days.  And then my insomnia is even worse.


Why does the sandman elude me?  Or am I just one of those people that doesn't need as much sleep as "they" say?  I seem to have survived thus far on sometimes two or three hours per night and sometimes ten or twelve.  Is that my natural biorhythm?

Does my sleep pattern just differ from what medical science says is the norm?  Or do I have a sleep deficit that causes me to catch cold easier and get the headaches from which I suffer?  Does my sleep pattern cause my knees to ache, my waist line to widen and my concentration to be less than desired?

If I have never consistently obtained a pattern of sleep that is suggested, how would I know if things would be different if I did?

Mister Sandman, bring me a dream.  Just make sure it is not a nightmare.




No comments:

Post a Comment